Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Testify, part 3

I know being a mom is the best thing in the world



There is nothing that could make me happier than being a mom. There is nothing I would rather be doing than spending my time with the kiddos. Seriously. I know that what I am doing right now is exactly what I am supposed to be doing.

Elder M. Russell Ballard quoted this in one of my favorite talks (you need to read it.) He said, "Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments. She said: “The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less”

I do not want to miss out on any moments. I want to make every day, every minute count. They are too important. I am grateful for all I have, especially my kids. They are a gift in my life and I want to treasure each of them. I am going to do better. Everything else can wait!

4 comments:

Laurie, the girls and Scott said...

This is my favorite testify part. I've been really trying to slow down and do things with the girls rather than working on getting "things" done. This is hard for me, but I've seen the difference in the whole family's happiness level. Yes, the house is sometimes a giant mess, but oh well. I'll clean when they're in college.

Raimi said...

I agree, being a Mom is wonderful! You're a good Mama! Your kiddos are lucky to have you!

Mme. Kara said...

You are the coolest, Amy. Can't wait to read more!

. said...

Thanks for sharing amy! love your thoughts! I agree with you, I LOVE being a mom. my kid come first. P.S. I love the first picture on your pumpkin patch post.