Monday, October 27, 2008

Testify, part 1

I have to admit, when we first moved into our new ward I was not that excited to go into Relief Society. I haven't been in that class in so long, about 6 years. So, I wasn't really sure what it was going to be like. I guess I expected to be a little bored. I am not. I have thoroughly been enjoying the lessons and women in Relief Society. It is a great place for me to be.

Yesterday we had an amazing lesson. It was taught by a fun lady, who always does a great job teaching. She helped us to understand what testifying does for us. Not only does it help others to know how we feel, it strengthens us also. She taught us that if we are courageous and testify of the little things we believe in, then we will "shine brighter." I thought about what she said and was really touched by the message. She is right. I need to do it more. I need to be proud of who I am and what I know. I need to share more of myself with others and not be worried about it.

So, I decided this is going to be my start. I am going to testify of one thing every day this week. It will be something I know, something that is important to me. And if nobody reads it, that is okay. I will have thought about it, and I will have written it down. I want to be a little more shiny.



I Know Who I Am

I am a daughter of amazing parents, who raised me with love, kindness, trust and wisdom. I never doubted they loved me, ever. I never had a time when I couldn't turn to them, ever. I never did anything (on purpose) to disappoint them, almost ever!

I am a sister. I am the older, bossy sister who I am sure rubbed my brother and sister the wrong way many times. But, I love them very much and am so grateful for them.

I am a wife to a wonderful husband whom I love and trust completely. I am so blessed to have him in my life. I am grateful for the relationship we share and the opportunity we have to raise our children together.

I am a mom. There is not anything that could make me happier. I am amazed at the love I have for each of them. My heart sometimes feels overwhelmed. I hope they know how I love them.

I am a friend. I have so many friends who are such great examples to me. They show me many of the things in my life I would like to work on. I am grateful for them also and the love and support they show me. I hope I can reciprocate in a little way what they give to me.

All of these things represent a part of me. I think about all of them, and it makes me want to be a better person. It makes me want to live happier, to be kinder, to serve others, to make the right choices for me and my family. But, all these things dont describe the whole of who I am. I know that I am a daughter of God. And that is all I need to know.

Yesterday, Miss S came home from school and informed me her friend told everyone they used to be monkeys. She was so confused. I could see in her face how absurd she thought it was. I tried to explain to her that is what some people think, but we don't. We know. We know we were created in God's image and that we have never looked like a monkey. So, dont worry. You won't one day be reunited with your great grandparents, the apes. Seriously, I was so happy in this instance that I could explain to her, without a doubt, the truth.

Knowing I am a daughter of God is incredible. It is incredible because I know what it feels like to have a child. I know the feelings you have and the love you are bursting with. That is how He loves me. I know it. I know He knows who I am. I know He cares about my life, my feelings, my actions, my choices, my happiness. I want to make better choices and be a better person because of that.

I know a cute family whose mom yells to her children as they are walking out the door, " Remember who you are and what you stand for!" I know who I am. I need to always remember.

5 comments:

Raimi said...

Love this Amy! Thanks for sharing! You are awesome! I am glad to call you my friend! thanks for your wonderful example.

Herlehy Family said...

That was beautiful! Thanks for sharing...it really inspired me. You are a wonderful example of kindness. I love having you in Relief Society; your smile brings warmth to my soul.

Nikki said...

Am... that was beautiful. You are amazing. Thank you for sharing such a special part. Can't wait to see you soon.

Stephanie said...

I miss you so much. I wish we could meet at the park and chat or TRY to rescue kittens. I can't wait until Thanksgiving. (I don't know if Danny will be able to get me back here though.) Squeeze your fam for us.

Stephanie said...

I REALLY enjoyed reading your post and found it to be very inspiring. We miss you in our ward, but I'm glad to know that you feel welcomed and appreciated in your new ward.

Friends!! =)