Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Testify, part 2

I know getting an education is important.


I remember the feeling that washed over me during my graduation from BYU. I was sitting on the stand, with Pete by my side and miss S was on my lap. It hit me all of the sudden, and I couldn't stop smiling. I turned to Pete and said, "I am SO happy right now." It truly was one of the happiest moments of my life, no doubt. Partly because I was proud, partly because Pete & I were graduating together, but mostly, because I was DONE! The thoughts of test, papers, deadlines and all of the other little stresses were over & I felt such relief.

I started BYU knowing what I wanted to study and for the most part really enjoyed my classes. I graduated in Broadcast Journalism, and it was fun. I have always loved to sit in front of the camera or computer and "produce" my own little projects. I did it all the time, even in high school. So, I was really excited to finally get to the last year of school so I could do all the things I loved. I was going to be taking the class where we wrote, edited, produced and anchored KBYU news every day! Only, it didn't end up being quite as fun as I expected - surprise! I was pregnant.

You may think that is a normal thing at BYU, and it probably is in many majors, just not mine. Nobody was pregnant while they were working on the news station. I was the only one. We had to get to school by 7 in the morning to compile all the news coming in off the wires (it sounds cool, huh) and I would be so sick. I have some wonderful videos of me anchoring the news looking just a little pale. By then, I knew working was not going to be an option for me, my life was taking a different direction. School got a little tougher with a baby, but I did it.

When Pete and I graduated a year after little miss S was born, it was a great day. I rented her a cap and a gown and I carried her across the stage with me.







It was funny, I was so happy to be done with school and yet, I missed it after a while. I didn't miss the tests, quizzes, projects... I missed learning. My days were spent with one - and then 2 babies. I loved it. I wouldn't have traded that time for anything, but it was hard too. I didn't get much time for myself. I remember thinking I needed to find something that I could do, something I could learn about.

A couple of years ago, it hit me. I could learn and do whatever I wanted. Learning does not have to be done in school. Since then, I have found things that interest me and have done what I can to learn more about them. The things I have learned and have been able to do have brought a lot of enjoyment in my life. And I have so much more to learn! There are so many things I want to know about, so many things I want to do well.

I know learning is something we need to do always. We should never stop. Everywhere around us, there is a chance to gain knowledge. It makes me excited. I only wish I had more time in my day. I know it sounds cheesy, but it is true " the world is my campus."

2 comments:

Raimi said...

Way to stick with it! Love the picture of the 3 of you on graduation day! S is so small! You should be so proud of yourself!
Love ya!

Stephanie said...

Kudos to you for finishing, especially with a baby! I'm ALMOST done, only 4 classes left. I'm planning on picking up my next class in January ... after the holidays. It's only taking me an additional 15 + years,but I'm determined to finish. It's hard to find the time when raising kids (which takes priority).