Monday, January 28, 2008

My Tuna...

I am so proud of S, she had a great and exciting week. Her big news is her part in the school play - she tried out and got the part she wanted - she's a Tuna! Of course, Pete and I have always been very aware of her dramatic abilities. She is so excited and is going to have so much fun, she really loves plays.

I have been thinking a lot about my kids lately and how important it is for our home to be full of encouragement and love. My heart broke a little for S this week. She had some gift certificates to her favorite store( Justice) and was so excited to get some clothes all by herself. She told me all about the shirt she wanted before we went to the store, and was so proud of the shirt and matching earrings she bought with her own money. The night before she wore them, she said "Do you think it is funny I am so excited to wear clothes?" I was so cute and I was so excited for her. She went off to school the next day and looked so stinkin cute! She was so happy. When she came home I asked her how her day went and she told me about how the girls in her class and then some 5th grade girls were talking about her and criticizing her. She was a little deflated & it made me sad.

It wasn't a huge thing, but it really made me think. I tried to tell her how some people criticize others to make themselves feel better and how unfortunately, some girls get jealous and are mean. I tried to tell her how this is a great way to learn about being a good friend, if you can be happy for them when something good happens to them. I wish I had the right answers and knew what to say to her. I am not ready for these things to be happening in 3rd grade! I was telling my mom what happened and she said the best thing. She said home needs to be a loving place because you don't know what they are experiencing and having to deal with all day at school. That really stuck with me. I cant control what my kids deal with at school, but I can do my best to make home a wonderful place. That is the most important thing I can do everyday, and it is my goal.




Here she is in her new shirt & earrings!

4 comments:

Raimi said...

She looks so stinkin' cute! I love the polka dots. Those girls must have just been "plain ol' jealous! You are a great Mom & it is a good thing that our children have loving homes to come home to after a long day away. Please tell "S" that she is darling & I am jealous of her cute new shirt :).

Hugs!
Raimi

Lisa said...

I just want to put my arms around her and tell her not to listen to others. She is very cute and looks grown up. I'm sure they all wished they had money and got to buy them. Keep your chin up!!! Congrats on the part in the play!

Stephanie said...

Girls can be SO mean. I remember when I saved up enough money to buy a pair of GUESS jeans when I was in Middle School, and these girls didn't think that I deserved to be wearing them. It was awful. I can relate to being deflated like that. As for our home, I like to think of it as a "soft place to fall" where everyone feels safe and loved, no matter what. Hugs are frequent, and love abounds. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Tell S Congrats on the play!!

. said...

Amy thanks so much for sharing that. I think with girls especially love at home is the most important because the other girls at school can be so harsh. I have dealt with similar things at school with Halli and I know how my heart breaks for her, and I hope I give the right advice. I agree that 2nd and 3rd garade seems so early to be dealing with this but I guess it is the times our kids ar growing up in and tehy need our love and the gosple more than ever.